You will become what you think about most. This is a powerful statement when it comes to your personal development and growth. What you think about most becomes the foundation for building your confidence and self-esteem. And, what you think about most can help to improve your self-confidence or it can diminish it. So, what are you thinking about most?
As a business coach, who also plays the role of a personal development coach, it is not necessarily easy to answer the question, “What do you think about most?”
I find a way to get something complex and deep started is to simplify it. It is important to break it down into manageable pieces. Let’s take a look at what I like to call the 5 Areas of Life.
- Spiritual-The spiritual is about how much you are conducting your life in alignment with your gifts and talents, who you are. If you are not, don’t panic or beat up on yourself. This doesn’t mean that you don’t have a good life. You probably do. What it means is, that when you are living your life using your gifts and talents that you and your life will be happier and more fulfilling. That definitely builds your confidence and self-esteem.
- Family-How is your relationship with your family? This is critical. Poor relationships will drain you of energy, focus and the desire to expand yourself and your world. It is important to get this as right as possible. It is hard to have build confidence and self-esteem in a constant cauldron of negative relationships.
- Business-This is what you do to earn a living. Or, what you do to exist. The goal here is to be doing things that not only let you survive, but thrive. An environment where you thrive will accelerate your personal development and growth.
- Financial-This is pretty straight forward. Have your income exceed your expenses. Be a good steward of your money. And, if you aren’t earning enough money, even if you have good financial habits, you can embark on personal development and growth, which will increase your value and put the odds in your favor of finding something where you will be paid more. Actually, in the United States, this is the easiest area to change.
- Personal-This has three sub areas: The Mental. The Emotional. The Physical. This is the area where you recharge yourself. When you recharge yourself by focusing your mind on good things and progress, by feeling good about yourself and what you are doing then you are much more likely to create new pathways for your successful personal development and growth and ultimately your successful performance. The last area, the Physical, is very important to supporting the mental and emotional. When you feel good about yourself physically it is because you are doing good things for yourself. The physical serves as an impetus to build your confidence and self-esteem in your thoughts and emotions. The physical acts as a reservoir that the mental and emotional can draw on. Take care of the reservoir of the physical and you will have the energy to become all that you can be.
These are five areas that you can focus on to take your personal development and growth to the next level. Let them guide you to what you think about most. After all, you do become what you think about most.